Van den Heuvel-Eibrink Group
Marry van den Heuvel-Eibrink
Marry van den Heuvel-Eibrink MD, PhD, has been an Associate professor of Pediatric Oncology since 2008. She was a senior consultant in pediatric oncology and hematology at the Erasmus MC-Sophia Children's Hospital in the years 1997-2014, and Working Group Leader of the ‘Erasmus MC Postgraduate Molecular Medicine School’ which is recognized by the Dutch Royal Academy of Science and Arts (2009-2015). Mary is chair of the international Working Group for MDS and JMML(EWOG-MDS), Co-chair of the international renal tumor disease committee (SIOP-RTSG) and Chair of the national DCOG renal tumor committee. Steering committee member of the DCOG late effects consortium. She published over 260 international peer-reviewed manuscripts and supervised 15 finalized and >10 ongoing PhD projects in the Princess Máxima Center, some of which were in collaboration with the ErasmusMC in Rotterdam and Technical University in Delft. She moved to the Princes Maxima Center in Utrecht in January 2015 to work as senior consultant and senior PI, and is appointed as full professor of Pediatric Oncology at the University of Utrecht in the Spring of 2016. Her research has been dedicated to translational research in pediatric oncology (special focus on renal tumors, myeloid malignancies and early and late toxicity of childhood cancer).
Van den Heuvel-Eibrink’s research will include translational research projects in pediatric oncology, with a special focus on renal tumors, as well as toxicity during and after childhood cancer.
Renal tumors: clinical outcome determinants research, oncogenetic research (genotype-phenotype correlation and identification of RT-susceptibility), molecular research (NGS, organoids, discriminating biomarker identification, and target identification in Wilms tumors, as well as rare non-Wilms tumors.
Quality of Care and toxicity research: Special focus on the identification of (genetic) determinants of late toxicity of childhood cancer, especially endocrine sequelae, and ototoxicity. This includes surveillance guideline development and intervention studies. Identification of determinants of early toxicity of childhood cancer, including establishing and chairing the prospective longitudinal cohort registry, the “Continuous Registration of direct tOxicity by prospective dataWare housiNg (the Princess Máxima Center-CROWN registry), and its accompanying research projects, with a special focus on genetic variation".
- Dome JS, Graf N, Geller JI, Fernandez CV, Mullen EA, Spreafico F, Van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM, Pritchard-Jones K.Advances in Wilms Tumor Treatment and Biology: Progress through International Collaboration, J Clin Oncol. 2015 Sep 20;33(27):2999-3007.
- van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM, Pritchard-Jones K, van Tinteren H, Graf N Response to letter commenting on "Outcome of localised blastemal-type Wilms tumor patients treated according to intensified treatment in the SIOP WT 2001 protocol, a report of the SIOP Renal Tumour Study Group (SIOP-RTSG)".Eur J Cancer. 2015 Mar 31.
- Kathy Pritchard-Jones, Christophe Bergeron, Beatriz de Camargo, Marry M van den Heuvel-Eibrink, Tomas Acha, Jan Godzinski, Foppe Oldenburger, Liliane Boccon-Gibod, Ivo Leuschner, Gordan Vujanic, Bengt Sandstedt, Jan de Kraker, Harm van Tinteren, Norbert Graf on behalf of the SIOP Renal Tumors Study Group, Doxorubicin omission from the treatment of stage II–III, intermediate-risk histology Wilms’ tumour: results of the SIOP WT 2001 randomised trial, Lancet, 2015, Sep 19;386(9999):1156-64.
- Wegert J, Ishaque N, Vardapour R, Geörg C, Gu Z, Bieg M, Ziegler B, Bausenwein S, Nourkami N, Ludwig N, Keller A, Grimm C, Kneitz S, Williams RD, Chagtai T, Pritchard-Jones K, van Sluis P, Volckmann R, Koster J, Versteeg R, Acha T, O'Sullivan MJ, Bode PK, Niggli F, Tytgat GA, van Tinteren H, van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM, Meese E, Vokuhl C, Leuschner I, Graf N, Eils R, Pfister SM, Kool M, Gessler M. Mutations in the SIX1/2 Pathway and the DROSHA/DGCR8 miRNA Microprocessor Complex Underlie High-Risk Blastemal Type Wilms Tumors. Cancer Cell. 2015 Feb 9;27(2):298-311.
- M.A.H. den Hoed, Elixabet Lopez-Lopez, M.L. te Winkel, W. Tissing, Jasmijn D.E. de Rooij, Angela Gutierrez-Camino, Africa Garcia-Orad, E. den Boer, R. Pieters, S.M.F.Pluijm, Robert de Jonge, and M.M. van den Heuvel-Eibrink. Genetic and metabolic determinants of methotrexate induced mucositis in pediatric ALL Pharmacogenomics J. 2015 Jun;15(3):248-54.Bone mineral density after childhood cancer in 346 long-term adult survivors of childhood cancer. den Hoed MA, Klap BC, te Winkel ML, Pieters R, van Waas M, Neggers SJ, Boot AM, Blijdorp K, van Dorp W, Pluijm SM, van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM. Osteoporos Int. 2015 Feb;26(2):521-9.
- Genetic variation may modify ovarian reserve in female childhood cancer survivors. van Dorp W, van den Heuvel-Eibrink MM, Stolk L, Pieters R, Uitterlinden AG, Visser JA, Laven JS. Hum Reprod. 2013 Apr;28(4):1069-76.
- Wendy van Dorp, Renée L Mulder, Leontien CM Kremer, Melissa M Hudson, Marry M van den Heuvel-Eibrink, Marleen van den Berg, Jennifer M Levine, Eline van Dulmen-den Broeder, Natacia di Iorgi, Assunta Albanese, Saro Armenian, Smita Bhatia, Louis S Constine, Andreas Corrias, Rebecca Deans, Uta Dirksen, Clarisa Raquel Gracia, Lars Hjorth, Leah Kroon, Cornelis B Lambalk, Wendy Landier, Gill Levitt, Alison Leiper, Lillian Meacham, Alesandro Mussa, Sebastian J Neggers, Kevin C Oeffinger, Alberto Revelli, Hanneke M van Santen, Roderick Skinner, Andrew Toogood, William Hamish Wallace, and Riccardo Haupt. Recommendations for Premature Ovarian Insufficiency Surveillance for Female Childhood, Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors: A Report from the International Late Effects of Childhood Cancer Guideline Harmonization Group, JCO, 2016, in press.
- LT Warris, MM van den Heuvel-Eibrink, FK Aarsen, SMF Pluijm, MB Bierings, C van den Bos, CM Zwaan, HH Thygesen, WJE Tissing, MA Veening, R Pieters, ELT van den Akker. Hydrocortisone as an intervention for dexamethasone-induced side effects in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients:Results of a double-blind randomized controlled trial, JCO, 2016, in press.
- M. van den Heuvel-Eibrink, PI
- S. Gooskens, MD, PhD student
- R. Davila Fajardo, MD, radiotherapist, PhD
- M. Houwing, MD, PhD student
- S. Pluijm, UD, post-doc epidemiologist and movement scientist
- M. den Hoed, MD, PhD student
- I. M.M. van der Geest, MD, PhD student
- L. Warris, MD, PhD student
- E. Clemens, biomedical health scientist, PhD student
- N. van Oostrom, MD, PhD student
- J. Holl, MD, PhD student
- A. van der Kooi, MD, PhD student
- B. Boon, IR, PhD student